WHO IS EVERALD?
I am an old Aussie in the tenth decade of my life.
Having been born in 1931, I am fast running out of years, but I enjoy life as I work on a number of strong personal commitments:
- Building a modern inland freight railway from Gladstone to Melbourne which will regenerate rural
communities and revolutionise way that freight is distributed.
- Convincing governments to implement a Longevity Plan that turns ageing into an asset.
- Writing and marketing books on history, politics and religion.
- Leading my Church out into the world to walk with people in need.
- Expanding my mental creativity by reading and more reading.
WHAT IS MY TRACK RECORD?
- Born and bred in the Australian Bush.
- Educated in State Schools.
- Certified Practicing Accountant and Certified Practicing Marketer.
- Spent 35 years working internationally as a Fund-Raising Consultant for not-for-profit institutions.
- Served for 60 years on Boards of Directors of commercial corporations.
- Author of 4 best-selling books.
- Longest serving Elder in Uniting Church in Australia.
- Awarded Order of Australia on two occasions – AM in 1993, AO in 2022.
- Received Centenary Medal in 2001 for Services to the Transport Industry.
- Currently an Adjunct Professor at the University of Sunshine Coast, formerly an Adjunct Professor of the University of Queensland and the Queensland University of Technology., Honorary Member of Common Room of Oriel College Oxford.
WHAT ARE MY MAJOR ACHIEVEMENTS?
- Founding Chief Executive of Saint Andrews War Memorial Hospital Brisbane.
- Founding Elder of Aspley Presbyterian Church (now Uniting Church)
- Founder of National Seniors Australia.
- Founder of Inland Railway.
- Founder of Everald Compton Charitable Trust.
- Joint leader of movement that achieved the passing of Voluntary Assisted Dying legislation in Queensland.
- Chairman of Directors, Gladstone Goondiwindi Railway.
- Chair of ACTS, the community service arm of the Aspley Uniting Church.
- Advocate of Indigenous Recognition in Constitution of Australia.
- Married to Helen for more than 6 decades.
- We live at Aspley in Queensland.
- Have a wonderful family of 4 children, 8 grandchildren and one great granddaughter.
WHERE AM I GOING?
I seek to create a world of justice, compassion, achievement and quality of opportunity.
I will never retire.